CARECEN’s mission is to foster the comprehensive development of the Latino population in the Washington metropolitan region by providing direct services, while promoting grassroots empowerment, civic engagement, and human rights advocacy.
Inspired by Central American justice struggles, CARECEN envisions a Washington metropolitan region where all communities thrive in solidarity and dignity, enjoy a prosperous life, and work towards achieving social justice and political empowerment.
All of our work is meant to facilitate the process of transition for immigrants to an integrated life in their new home. We also strive to foster human rights advocacy and leadership skills so that all of those who participate in our programs and services can, in turn, play a role in promoting the advancement of their community.
- Immigration Legal Services – Increased number of Latino immigrants who maintain or obtain lawful status that enables them to live and work in the United States;
- Housing and Economic Development – Improved living conditions for low and medium income Latino families, improved access to affordable housing, increased homeownership and asset creation among low income Latinos;
- Citizenship and Civic Participation- Increased number of Latino U.S. citizens and greater participation of new citizens on advocacy issues central to the well-being of the Latino community;
- Community Support Services – Better informed and educated constituents and a self-sufficient and economically stable community;
- Advocacy – A community whose members are equipped to voice collective needs and the adoption of legislation that protects and advances the civil and human rights of Latino immigrants, locally and nationally.
- Empowerment – We promote the self-actualization or influence of immigrants, especially the undocumented and refugees. We believe that the immigration reform movement inspires and empowers immigrants and natives alike.
- Solidarity – In addition to our mission and services, CARECEN strives to strengthen a collective feeling of unity between people who have the same interest, goals, and struggles.
- Self-reliance – We promote and strengthen immigrants’ ability to rely on their own efforts, abilities and talents for their self-actualization and development.
- Diversity/Inclusion – At CARECEN we value having people who are different in different ways – race, gender, ethnicity, religion, culture, etc., and that such diversity and inclusion are assets and strengths of the organization.
- Excellence – We strive to maintain our reputation for quality services through ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the various aspects of a project or service, and facilities to ensure that standards of quality are met.
- Innovation – We strive to become a model organization which continuously introduces new ideas, approaches, models and tools to provide services, advocate for immigrant rights, and empower communities.